Low Cost Computer Resources
The following external community resource list directs you to agencies that provide free and reduced cost computers. If you know of any other resources, please let us know.
Home internet service, low-cost netbook and internet training for low-income individuals.
- Area Served: Century Link service areas.
- Application Procedure: To qualify, you must not have subscribed to CenturyLink Internet service within the last 90 days and are not a current CenturyLink Internet customer; do not have an overdue CenturyLink bill or unreturned equipment; Follow current guidelines for Lifeline/ TAP phone service programs.
- Cost: Internet access/ $9.95 a month. Netbook/ $150, plus tax, Free Internet Training
- Warranties/Post Purchase Support: 30 day money back guarantee
Free to low cost wireless service
- Area Served: Varies. Check website to see if your zip code qualifies.
- Application Procedure: Go to website to register and chose device that best suits your needs.
- Cost: Varies on device and area you live in.
Home internet service and low cost computer for low-income families.
- Area Served: Comcast service areas
- Application Procedure: Must have at least one student receiving free lunches through the National School Lunch Program and have not subscribed to Comcast in the last 90 days or have outstanding bill or returned equipment to Comcast. Apply online.
- Cost: Internet access/ $9.95 a month, plus tax. Computer/ $149.99, plus tax (with internet access) Free Internet Training
- Warranties/Post Purchase Support: 30 day warranty
Tel: 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376)
Low cost high speed internet service options
- Area Served: Seattle zip codes 98122, 98104, 98101, 98121, 98134.
- Application procedure: Must have at least one child in household that is receiving free lunches through the National School Lunch Program, live in the zip codes above, not subscribed to the internet service provider for the last 90 days, and have no overdue bills or unreturned equipment from the internet service provider. Multiple internet provider options available, see website for details.
- Cost: 9.95 per month unlimited internet data from Comcast.
Low cost computers.
- Area Served: Washington State
- Types of Computers Available: Desktops & Laptops (Dell, HP, IBM, Mac, Lenovo and all other major name brands). Low-income computers are available from $79. They come with Windows 7, Office Basic and are internet ready. Check this flyer to see if you qualify: InterConnection also has a retail store where it sells low cost laptops and desktops starting from $79. The store is open Monday-Friday 10am-6pm and Saturday 10am-5pm.
- Waiting List: No
- Application Procedure: Check the website or contact Interconnection by phone for more information.
- Cost: $79 for a desktop computer package which includes desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse or $99 for a laptop (based on low-income qualification).
- Warranties/Post Purchase Support: 90 days
- Number of computers placed per month: 300-400
Phone: 206-633-1517 ext. 116
Address of Retail Store: 3415 Stone Way North, Seattle, WA 98103
Hours: 10am – 6pm Monday to Friday; Saturday 10am – 5 pm
Offers help and resources to homeless or low income individuals access phone, internet and voicemail.
- Area Served: King County
- Application Procedure: None. Just give them a call or go in and they will help get you all setup.
- Cost: Free for referral. Actual service varies based on what kind of service you need.
Phone: 206 694-6771
Connect Up – Solid Ground
1501 North 45th ST
Seattle, WA 98103
Offers no-cost and low-cost internet-ready computers to folks who need them.
- Area Served: Seattle & King County
- Types of Computers Available: Pentium IV and above desktops. We occasionally get Macs and very seldom, laptops. We currently have funds to help clients purchase laptops from Interconnection. We pay 50% of the cost.
- Waiting List: frequently a very long waiting list!
- Application Procedure: email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost: free — unless we are helping purchase computers or monitors from Interconnection–then it’s 50/50.
- Warranties/Post Purchase Support: if we supply computers via Interconnection, a warranty is offered
Ti Locke, email only email@example.com
Speech Recognition Software
Speech recognition software can change your life. Speak and your words appear on the screen – Control your computer by voice! Northwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury System through the University of Washington, Rehabilitative Medicine provides newsletters featuring various services and products. The following link provides a review on Dragon NaturallySpeaking, a speech recognition software: http://sci.washington.edu/info/newsletters/articles/10_sum_speech_rec.asp.
Websites for Searching for Apps
OT’s with Apps: OT’s with Apps is a resource for educational and medical occupational therapists, parents and clients on iPod, iPhone and iPad apps for both kids and adults. Reviews, articles, the works!
Training (See also InterConnection)
Nationally known Assistive Technology Trainers, each class is taught using remote access software. You get your own time with one of their experienced trainers, learning and practicing the material live, with constant feedback and interaction. Focuses on Blindness, Low Vision and Learning Differences Products.
- Waiting List:No
- Cost: $197-$297 per class
Toll Free: 877/447-6500
The Northshore Senior Center has been at the forefront of training seniors in computer learning since 1992. Around 1,500 students come to the labs each year to learn the basics of computing for work or pleasure. Lab computers and software are kept up to date so that seniors can keep their skills up to current market trends.
- Bothell Lab: firstname.lastname@example.org Leave a message at 425-487-2441
- Health and Wellness Lab: email@example.com 425-286-1038
- Mill Creek lab: BillD@seniorservices.org 425-948-7170
- Kenmore lab: GarrethJ@seniorservices.org 425-489-0707
- Woodinville lab: GarrethJ@seniorservices.org 425-489-0707
- Website: http://www.northshoreseniorcenter.org/
Computer classes and training for individuals with disabilities including specially designed programs for individuals with cognitive disabilities.
- Waiting List: No
- Application Procedure: Contact Gabe at Provail
- Cost: There is a charge for these programs; charges may be covered by DD and/or vocational rehabilitation funding or other sources.
12550 Aurora Ave North.
Seattle, WA 98133-8036
Phone (206) 363-7303
Facsimile (206) 361-5628
Toll Free 1 (888) 810-0745
Clinic Front Desk (206) 826-1037
Provides skills training on computers and access technology specifically for people with disabilities.
- Waiting List: No
- Application Procedure: Call or drop in during open business hours
- Cost: None
Schedule: Call for current hours and training opportunities.
Contact: Oscar Escalante
STAR of Seattle
2121 26th Ave. S.
Seattle, Wa. 98144
Computer lab with some adaptive software open to individuals with disabilities. Individualized instruction also provided. Lab is open Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 8:30 PM.
- Waiting List:No
- Application Procedure: Call TACID to see if they have equipment that you need. 1-253-565-9000. To make an appointment for individualized instruction, call Laurie Teeter at Ext. 20253)
- Cost: None
6315 S 19th Street