Washington Access Fund
Low interest loans for up to $25,000 for home accessibility modifications and any type of assistive technology.
Phone: 206-328-5116 or
Toll Free: 1-877-428-5116
TTY: 1-888-494-4775
Fax: 206-328-5126
Website: http://www.washingtonaccessfund.org
Department of Labor and Industries
If you have a catastrophic work related injury and you need home modifications for safety, mobility and/or daily living assistance, you may be able to get coverage through L & I. For more information, contact your claims representative or the therapy services coordinator at: claim manager or the Therapy Services Coordinator at 360-902-4480.
Website: http://www.lni.wa.gov/
Master Builder Association Ramp-a-thons
Some Master Builders Associations have once a year ramp building programs for low income individuals in their communities. For more information, follow this link to find and contact your local Master Builders Association:
Website: http://www.nahb.org/
COPES & Aging & Adult Services:Home & Community Based Waivers
If you are covered by Medicaid, COPES or have a development disability and eligible for a home and community based waiver, you may be able to get financial assistance with home modifications that enable you to continue to live at home. For more information, contact Home and Community Services at 1 800 346 9257 or 206 341-7750.
Minor Home Repair Assistance Programs
These city and county programs offer low (3%) and zero interest loans for minor home repairs – including access modifications – to low income families. Check with your city or county neighborhood or community development agency for more information.
Rebuilding Together
National organization that repairs and revitalizes the homes of low income homeowners. The organization is particularly interested in helping seniors, people with disabilities and children. Most sponsor one annual rebuilding day and homeowners need to apply for assistance well in advance of that date. Follow this link to contact your local chapter to find out if you are eligible: http://rebuildingtogether.org/affiliates/
Puget Sound Labor Agency
Free ramp building program for individuals living in the Puget Sound area. Families may be ask to cover the cost of the materials. Call to participate in a screening process. There is a waiting list at the present time.
2800 First Avenue Room 126
Seattle. WA 98121
Ramp Program
The RAMP Program helps provide ramps for people with disabilities living in Western Washington. A number of local unions have been active with ramp building, including Machinists 751, Carpenters 562 and Laborers 292. The program is always in need of help with materials and volunteers to build the ramps.
Contact: Jerry Otis
24222 54th Avenue West, #70
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043-5535
Phone: (425) 387-2291
Email: jerry12102@aol.com
Machinists Volunteer Program
Contact Ed Lutgen, the Steward Coordinator for “I AM 751” at (206) 764-0331 for more information. The Machinists Volunteer Program has been building ramps for Puget Sound area residents since 1997. Visit this blog article for more information: http://iam751.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/union-volunteers-build-300th-wheelchair-ramp/
Reverse Mortgage
Reverse mortgages allow individuals who are 62 years of age and older to convert the equity in their homes to cash through a special type of loan. The cash can be paid out in a lump sum or in multiple payments. No repayments are required until the borrowers pass away or no longer use the home as their principal residence. Interest rates and other terms and conditions for reverse mortgages vary considerably and individuals who plan to use this type of program to fund home modifications should carefully research their options. A good summary is available on the Department of Financial Institutions website at: http://www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/reversemortgage.htm.
U.S. Dept of Agriculture Rural Development Section 504 Housing Grants
Grants and 1% loans to low income individuals living in rural areas for home improvements potentially including accessibility modifications. For more information, contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture office in Washington at (360) 704-7740 or check their website to find the office closest to you: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/WA/Statecontact.htm
U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development Programs of Special Interest

  • Section 203K programs allow you to wrap the cost of home improvements into your mortgage. To find a 203K lender in your area, visit DHUD’s website at: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/203k/sfh203kc.cfm.
  • HUD’s Title I program insures loans of up to $25,000 to finance light or moderate home modifications. To find a Title I qualified lender in your area, visit DHUD’s website at: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/title/title-i.cfm.
Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans
If you are a Veteran or spouse, you may be eligible for up to $50,000 in home modification grants depending upon when and how you acquired your disability.

Toll Free: 1-800-827-1000

Washington Association of Area Agencies on Aging (W4A)
The Washington Association of Area Agencies on Aging (W4A) works with local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) to create communities that support people as they age. The organization seeks to enhance the effectiveness of each AAA through a strong agenda of information, debate, advocacy and education. AAA’s provide a range of services to elders and adults with disabilities. Contact your local AAA or Senior Information & Assistance to find out about available services.
Website: http://www.agingwashington.org/