Loan Underwriter and Officer
Northwest Access Fund is pleased to announce an opportunity for a full-time Loan Underwriter and Officer to process, underwrite, and service loans for purposes that promote access to assistive technology, independence, financial resilience, and life opportunities.
Northwest Access Fund is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) established by and for people with disabilities. We envision a world where all people with disabilities have access to the resources they need to fully participate and thrive in our communities. We offer people with disabilities in Washington and Oregon customized loans, financial coaching, and other resources to promote access to assistive technology, independence, financial resilience, and life opportunities.
Process, underwrite, and service Assistive Technology and Opportunity Loans. (Common assistive technology financed include hearing aids, scooters/wheelchairs, and modified vehicles; common Opportunity Loans include security rental deposits, moving costs, and car repairs.)
- Perform prudent underwriting by evaluating and interpreting applicant credit report, bank statements, tax returns, and budget to determine whether the applicant has the ability to repay loan and meets internal underwriting standards;
- Ensure applicant understands terms of repayment and communication expectations;
- Prepare closing documents and collect required documentation for borrower and follow up on missing elements;
- Answer loan inquiries, provide program information, and send application packets;
- Determine eligibility for loan programs and facilitate application submission;
- Process and evaluate loan applications, verifying accuracy and completeness;
- Provide applicant with timely and periodic status updates of loan application;
- Prepare credit memo and financials to present to Loan Review Committee for loan decision;
- Set up financial transactions for loan disbursements;
- Collect and input data and documents in relevant systems;
- Service loans, responding to requests for loan modifications, and when needed assist with collection efforts;
- Maintain client confidentiality and keep files and data in a secure manner;
- Provide information and assistance to borrowers and outside referrals where necessary.
- Maintain a culture of quality customer service at all points of contact.
- Serve as a point of contact for questions about all of Northwest Access Fund’s programs and services; as a small non-profit, we all do our part to help with projects as needed to fulfill our mission.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field (such as accounting, finance, or economics) or equivalent experience;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in consumer loan underwriting;
- Experience in providing customer service; and
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with working with disability communities and BIPOC Communities.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills and a non-judgmental, positive, problem-solving attitude;
- Ability to effectively collaborate with diverse constituent populations, including seniors and Disability Communities, BIPOC Communities, and LGBT Communities;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and handle multiple tasks efficiently with high attention to detail;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to provide an exceptional level of customer service: in person, by email, and over the phone;
- Interest in learning and professional growth;
- Ability to maintain detailed case notes;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel; and
- Ability to learn new data systems.
- Knowledge and/or experience with financial education or coaching;
- Knowledge and/or experience with federal disability benefits and work incentive programs;
- Knowledge and experience of/with Assistive Technology; and
- Multilingual with Spanish fluency preferred.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Primarily works in standard office conditions and climate;
- Primarily works at a desk and computer, likely for extended periods of time; and
- Due to COVID-19, all staff are working remotely from home for the foreseeable future.
- $70,000-$78,000 DOE annually for full-time work.
- Option of employer paid health, dental, and vision benefits for the employee, and enrollment in SIMPLE
- IRA (matches up to 3% of salary).
- PTO: 11 holidays and 15 sick days, and starting level of 18 vacation days annually.
Target start date is November/December 2021.
- Email resume and cover letter with the subject line LOAN OFFICER to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your cover letter, please address relevant experience, qualifications, and reasons for your interest in this particular position.
- Application review will commence October 4. Applications will be reviewed and assessed as received until position is filled.
All job offers are contingent on the following:
- Completion of a satisfactory background check.
- Satisfactory reference checks.
Please email Ellie Vainker with questions at: email@example.com.