Home >

Adapted Vehicles

The following lists are intended as a community resource. We do not endorse or recommend any particular funding resources, vendors, or professionals. Please let us know if you have any updates to what we have listed, or if you know of anything not represented here, by emailing [email protected]

Adapted Vehicle Funding Resources

Adapted Vehicle Information & Directories

Adapted Vehicle Vendors

Certified Driver Education Rehabilitation Professionals

Adapted Vehicle Funding Resources

Paying for vehicle adaptations or adapted vehicles can be challenging! Most of the funding resources below  will contribute toward the final cost of a car or modification, but will not cover the entire cost. Some of these resources will require an application. Please contact the individual organization for more information.

National Funding Resources

Alyssa V Phillips Foundation

The Alyssa V Phillips Foundation supports individuals impacted by Cerebral Palsy (CP) with the aim of maximizing their independence. The foundation offers financial support grants that may be used to cover some of the costs of modifying a vehicle.

Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation

The Byron Riesch Paralysis Foundation offers charitable grants to applicants with a neurological disorder, with preference for those with spinal cord injuries. Applicants must also demonstrate financial need and may be required to provide documentation.

Chive Charities Grant

The Chive Charities Grant provides funding for accessible home and car modifications to individuals with rare medical conditions, veterans, and first responders.

First Hand Foundation

The First Hand Foundation offers funding that can be used for vehicle modifications such as lifts, ramps, and transfer boards. Grant amounts are dependent upon income level.

Gwendolyn Strong Foundation: SMA Community Grant

The Gwendolyn Strong Foundation’s SMA Community Grants range from $250 to $2,500 and can be used for vehicle modifications. Applicants must have a Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) diagnosis.

Mobility for Vets

Mobility for Vets connects people who donate used modified vehicles with veterans and families who need them.

National Organization for Vehicle Accessibility (NOVA): Mobility Assistance Grant Program

Update 3/11/2021: Link to webpage is broken.

This program is a bridging fund directed to individuals with disabilities who have secured the majority of the money needed to fund vehicle modifications but need some additional help to reach their goal. During each funding cycle, grants are awarded to selected individuals for up to 25% of the cost of the mobility transportation equipment with a maximum award of $5,000.

Special Kids Fund

The Special Kids Fund connects people who donate used modified vehicles with families who need them.


Travis Roy Foundation: Quality of Life Grant

The Travis Roy Foundation offers Quality of Life Grants to individuals with paraplegia or quadriplegia who have survived spinal cord injuries. The average grant size is $3,000 and the maximum request is $5,000; there is no minimum award.

Triumph Foundation: Keep Moving Forward Grant

The Triumph Foundation’s Keep Moving Forward Grant helps individuals get adaptive equipment for daily living, community reintegration, and health and wellness.  The maximum grant is $2,000  and funds are paid directly to the vendor. Applicants must be citizens of the United States and priority for grants is given to Southern California residents.

Veteran’s Affairs – Automobile Allowance and Adaptive Equipment

Veterans and service members may be eligible for a one-time payment of not more than $11,000 toward the purchase of an automobile or other conveyance for certain service-connected injuries. They may also be eligible for adaptive equipment. To apply, contact a VA regional office at 1-800-827-1000 or your nearest VA medical center.

  • Seattle: 206-553-2706
  • Spokane: 509-327-0274
  • Tacoma: 253-565-7038
  • Portland: 503-220-8262

SSI Provision: Plan To Achieve Self-Support (PASS)

PASS plans allow you to set aside income for a short- or long-term employment goal (which may have an educational component). Income set aside can be used to help you keep or qualify for SSI benefits and Medicaid. A quick guide to PASS plans can be found here. You can get assistance in determining eligibility and applying for a PASS plan through a benefits planning specialist. Find a specialist near you in Washington or in Oregon.

Multiple Sclerosis Foundation – Assistive Technology (AT) Program

The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation’s AT Program helps individuals obtain funding – or provides them with funding – for AT that promotes independent living. Funding for vehicle modifications is available.

  • Phone: 888-MSFOCUS (888-673-6287)

Accessibility Rebates

Many vehicle manufacturers offer rebates, typically up to $1000, to cover part of the cost of modifications. Some companies restrict rebates to brand new vehicles; others cover vehicles up to five years old. Here is a sampling of websites.

  • Ford Motors: Up to $1000 for cost of installed equipment on new Ford motor vehicles
  • General Motors: Up to $1000 for adaptations to new GM vehicles
  • Honda: Up to $1000 for vehicle adaptations
  • Hyundai: Up to $1000 for vehicle adaptations
  • Lexus: Up to $1000 for adaptations to new vehicles
  • Toyota: Up to $1000 for adaptations to purchased or leased vehicles 2001 and later models
  • Volvo: Up to $1000 in financial assistance toward the cost of adding adaptive equipment to an eligible new Volvo or up to $200 on alert hearing devices

Washington Funding Resources

Area Agency on Aging

DSHS: Division of Vocational Rehabilitation

Department of Labor and Industries

RCW 51.36.020(8)(a): If vehicle modifications are needed because of an industrial injury resulting in amputation or paralysis, L&I (or employer if self-insured) may pay up to 50% of the state’s average annual wage towards to cost of vehicle modifications. An additional $4000 may be allocated at the discretion of the Department.

  • Phone: 360-902-5800

Oregon Funding Resources

Blanche Fischer Foundation

The Blanche Fischer Foundation provides up to $1,200 of grant funding to individuals who have a verifiable physical disability, proof of Oregon residency, and demonstrated financial need.

Area Agency on Aging

Oregon DHS Vocational Rehabilitation

Bureau of Labor and Industries

Adapted Vehicle Information & Directories

Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists (ADED)

This website features fact sheets containing helpful information about factors to consider for different disabilities & directories of Driving Rehab Specialists, Mobility Equipment Dealers and Mobility Equipment Manufacturers.

National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA)

NMEDA is a non-profit association of adaptive vehicle manufacturers, dealers, and driver rehabilitation specialists whose goal is to improve access to transportation for people with disabilities. They offer in-person evaluations and help finding and buying a vehicle.

National Highway Transportation Safety Agency

NHTSA is the federal government agency that provides information about selection and safety of modified vehicles & vehicle modifications with a focus on safety.

Northwest Disabled Dealer

This free magazine is available from modified vehicle vendors and features articles about modified vehicles and listings of used modified vehicles, wheelchairs & other equipment.

Disabled Dealer Magazine

Regional website where individuals and businesses can buy or sell adaptive technology.

Mobility Van Sales

National website for buying and selling previously owned modified vans. Buyers can search by state, make, model, and features of any vehicle they are interested in.

Adapting Motor Vehicles For People With Disabilities

This brochure details a proven process: evaluating your needs, selecting the right vehicle, choosing a qualified dealer to modify your vehicle, being trained, and maintaining your vehicle, so that you can avoid costly mistakes when purchasing and modifying a vehicle with adaptive equipment.

Driving with Multiple Sclerosis

Information and recommendations on when and how to adapt a vehicle to suit your needs if you have MS.

Adapted Vehicle Vendors

Washington Vendors

Kersey Mobility

6015 160th Ave E.
Sumner, WA 98390
Phone: 253-863-4744

14640 NE 91st St
Redmond, WA 98052
Phone: 425-406-8484

7202 Evergreen Way
Everett, WA 98203
Phone: 425-353-6563

*QAP Accredited

Absolute Mobility Center

21704 87th Ave SE
Woodinville, WA 98072
Phone: 425-481-6546

6053 Tacoma Mall Blvd.
Tacoma, WA 98409
Phone: 253-267-5280

*QAP Accredited

Goldenwest Mobility

1815 E. Francis
Spokane, WA 99208
Phone: 509-484-3842
*QAP Accredited

Oregon Vendors

United Access

12905 NE Airport Way,
Portland, OR 97230
Phone: 503-564-7155

4347 NE Yeon Ave,
Portland, OR 97210
Phone: 503-243-2940

*QAP Accredited

Ability Center

3574 Marcola Rd
Springfield, OR 97477
Phone: 541-726-4001

9740 SW Wilsonville Rd #250
Wilsonville, OR 97070
Phone: 971-224-5895

*QAP Accredited

Oregon Mobility Solutions

12154 SW Garden Pl
Tigard, OR 97223
Phone: 503-991-4100

4280 25th Ave NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-991-4100

R&J Mobility Service

Salem South
200 Hawthorne Ave SE Suite F-650
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-838-5520

Salem North
Mobility Equipment & Medical Supplies
2221 Hyacinth St NE #130
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-967-5130

4938 Crater Lake Ave
Medford, OR 97504
Phone: 541-245-4846

Mobility Equipment & Medical Supplies
16669 SE McLoughlin Blvd
Portland, OR 97267
Phone: 503-575-7616


The following list of driver rehabilitation specialists comes from the website of the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists—an organization that supports professionals working in the field of driver education and training and transportation equipment modifications for people with disabilities.


Northwest Driver Rehab – Mark Russel, MS, CCC, ATP, CDRS

319 NW Dogwood St.
Issaquah WA 98027
Phone: 425-373-1315
Email: [email protected]

University of Washington Medical Center – Melissa Patopea, OT, CDRS

1959 NE Pacific St.
Seattle WA 98195
Phone: 206-598-4833
Email: [email protected]

VA Puget Sound HCS – Tina M. Sancilio, OTR/L, CDRS

1660 S. Columbian Way
Seattle, WA 98108
Phone: 206-762-1010


St. Charles Medical Center – Trudi A. Cruzen, OT/L, CDRS

Bend, OR 97702
Phone: 541-706-7725
Email: [email protected]

Michell L. Kreft, OTR, CDRS

Bend, OR 97702
Phone: 541-706-7725
Email: [email protected]

Driving Solutions Oregon – Laura Fischrup, OTR/L, CDRS

492 E. 13 Ave. Suite 101
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone: 541-686-3524
Email: [email protected]

J K Adaptations – Jim M. Ilg, CDRS

826 Pioneer Drive
Silverton, OR 97381
Phone: 503-302-4919
Email: [email protected]

Alpine Rehab & Wellness Inc. – Jeff T. Lango, OTR/L, CDRS

5933 NE Win Sivers Drive, Suite 240
Portland, OR 97220
Email: [email protected]