Home >

Home Modifications

Helpful Websites

Home Modification Resource Center

This website serves as an information clearinghouse on home modification to equip professionals and consumers with a comprehensive inventory of resources such as a National Directory of Home Modification and Repair Resources.

Northwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury System

This University of Washington site offers videos and slideshow pictures of home modifications for spinal cord injury (SCI) patients. It also has newsletter links about current SCI research, outside resources, and various patient services that the UW SCI Forum offers.

Building a Wheelchair Ramp: What you should know before tackling the project

This page offers a useful overview of questions and tips you should consider when having a wheelchair ramp constructed.

National Funding Sources for Home Modifications

Master Builder Association Ramp-a-thons

Some Master Builders Associations have yearly ramp-building programs for low income individuals in their communities. For more information, follow this link to find and contact your local Master Builders Association.

Rebuilding Together

National organization that repairs and revitalizes the homes of low-income homeowners. The organization helps seniors, people with disabilities and children. Homeowners must apply for assistance well in advance of annual rebuilding days. Follow the link above to contact your local chapter to find out if you are eligible.

Multiple Sclerosis Foundation

The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation may help locate, partially fund, or provide full funding for a wide range of devices as needed for personal independence. To apply, visit this link.

Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation

Applicants must have a neurological disorder with preference going to spinal cord injuries, must demonstrate financial need and may be required to provide documentation.

Chive Charities Grant

This grant fund is for individuals with rare medical conditions, veterans and first responders with medically-related needs for accessible home & car modifications.

Gwendolyn Strong Foundation: SMA Community Grant

SMA Community Grants range from $250 to $2,500 and can be used for home modifications. Applicants must have a Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) diagnosis.

Triumph Foundation: Keep Moving Forward Grant

This grant helps individuals get necessary Adaptive Equipment for activities of daily living, make Home Modifications for wheelchair accessibility, enable the Return to Work reintegrating back into the community, and maintain Therapeutic Activities for health and wellness. The maximum grant is $2,000 when funds are available, and are paid directly to the vendor. Applicants must be citizens of the United States and priority for grants is given to Southern California residents.

Travis Roy Foundation: Quality of Life Grant

To apply for this grant, applicants must be a spinal cord injury survivor with paraplegia or quadriplegia. The average grant size is $3,000, and the maximum request considered is $5,000; there is no minimum award.

Minor Home Repair Assistance Programs

These city and county programs offer low (3%) and zero interest loans for minor home repairs – including access modifications – to low income families. Check with your city or county neighborhood or community development agency for more information.

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development Programs of Special Interest

Section 203K programs allow you to wrap the cost of home improvements into your mortgage. To find a 203K lender in your area, visit DHUD’s website here.

HUD’s Title I program insures loans of up to $25,000 to finance light or moderate home modifications. To find a Title I qualified lender in your area, visit DHUD’s website here.

Reverse Mortgage

Reverse mortgages allow individuals who are 62 years of age and older to convert the equity in their homes to cash through a special type of loan. The cash can be paid out in a lump sum or in multiple payments. No repayments are required until the borrowers pass away or no longer use the home as their principal residence. Interest rates and other terms and conditions for reverse mortgages vary considerably and individuals who plan to use this type of program to fund home modifications should carefully research their options. A good summary is available on the Washington State Department of Financial Institutions website here or on the HUD website here.

U.S. Veterans Affairs

If you are a veteran or spouse, you may be eligible for up to $50,000 in home modification grants depending upon when and how you acquired your disability.

U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development Section 504 Housing Grants

Grants and 1% loans are available to low-income individuals who live in rural areas for the purposes of home improvements, potentially including accessibility modifications. For more information, contact the USDA by phone or check their website to find the office closest to you.

Washington Funding Sources for Home Modifications

Washington State Aging & Long-Term Support Administration (ALTSA): 1915c Waivers

If you are covered by Medicaid, COPES or have a development disability, you may be able to get financial assistance with home modifications that enable you to continue to live at home.

  • Contact ALTSA: 1-800-422-3263, option #6

Washington State Department of Labor and Industries

If you have a catastrophic work-related injury and you need home modifications for safety, mobility and/or daily living assistance, you may be able to get coverage through L & I. For more information, contact your claims representative or the therapy services coordinator.

  • Phone: 360-902-5800

Washington Association of Area Agencies on Aging (W4A)

The Washington Association of Area Agencies on Aging (W4A) works with area agencies on aging (AAA) to create communities that support people as they age. The organization seeks to enhance the effectiveness of each AAA through a strong agenda of information, debate, advocacy and education. AAAs provide a range of services to elders and adults with disabilities. Contact your local AAA or Senior Information & Assistance to learn about available services, or contact the general office using the contact information below.

Puget Sound Labor Agency (PSLA)

PSLA offers a free ramp-building program for individuals living in the Puget Sound area, although they may ask homeowners to cover the cost of materials. Call to participate in a screening process.

Machinists Volunteer Program

The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) District Lodge 751’s Machinist Volunteer Program has been building ramps for Puget Sound residents since 1997. You can read this article or this article for more information.

Sound Generations: Minor Home Repair Program

This program is for younger disabled homeowners, low-income family homeowners, and older adults homeowners who are faced with the challenge of affording home repairs. To be eligible, you must be income-eligible homeowners of all ages in Seattle, Shoreline, and Bellevue.

King County Housing Repair Program

The King County Housing Repair Program provides funding for housing repair services to low-income homeowners and special needs renters in most parts of King County. They provide loans and grants which can be used to make home modifications for accessibility.

  • Phone: 206-263-9095

City of Seattle Office of Housing Home Repair Loan Program

This program provides affordable loans to income-qualified homeowners to address critical health, safety, and structural issues and one of the eligible repairs are accessibility needs and modifications.

Habitat for Humanity Seattle – King County: Aging in Place and home repair Program

Habitat for Humanity Seattle – King County’s Aging in Place program serves homeowners who are aged 62 and older or who have a disability. The program includes a complete home assessment, with recommendations of minor repairs to make the home safer to get around in. The assessment tool evaluates how the home supports the lifestyle of the owner (and occupants) and identifies improvements to make the home safer and more comfortable. Eligible projects include entry access improvement, handrails and grab bars, task lighting, and other accessibility modifications. Income and geographic restrictions can be found on the website. Grants are available for up to $2500 (with a one-time $50 application fee). For expenses exceeding $2500, individuals can apply to the Home Repair Program where repair project costs will be subject to a 0% deferred loan that is paid upon sale or transfer of the home.

Interlink Volunteers

This organization provides rides, small household repairs, and builds ramps for elders and people with disabilities in Asotin County, WA and Nez Perce County, ID.

Oregon Funding Sources for Home Modifications

Oregon K Plan – Community First Choice Medicaid Program

Seniors and those who are physically disabled, who are also eligible for Oregon’s state Medicaid program, can receive up to $5,000 of support towards necessary home modifications.

  • Contact the Oregon Department of Health and Human Services: 503-945-5600

Oregon Workers’ Compensation Division

You may be eligible for coverage through the Oregon Workers’ Compensation Division if you have a catastrophic work-related injury.

Oregon Association of Area Agencies on Aging and Disabilities (O4AD)

The Oregon Association of Area Agencies on Aging and Disabilities (O4AD) is a leading voice advocating for seniors and persons with disabilities across the state. Area Agencies on Aging and Disabilities provide a number of services to elders and adults with disabilities. Contact your local agency for information on services that may be available to you, or contact the general office using the contact information below.

Habitat for Humanity of Oregon

Habitat for Humanity of Oregon builds wheelchair ramps for seniors to allow them to age in place.

Habitat for Humanity Willamette West: Critical Home Repair Program

This program helps homeowners in Washington County, the Portland Oregon Metro Westside, includes the cities of Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tigard, and Tualatin, and parts of Clackamas County including Lake Oswego, West Linn and Wilsonville make accessibility and safety improvements for a low cost.

  • Phone: 503-844-7606

Habitat for Humanity Lincoln County: Critical Home Repair Program

Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East: Home Repair and Preservation Program

  • Phone: 503-287-9529

ReFIT: Remodeling for Independence Together

This program helps homeowners who need to increase the accessibility of their home. The homeowner or family member living in home must have limited mobility and/or functional limitation and the household must have an income below 80% of the median income (may be waived under certain circumstances).

Unlimited Choices

This organization has several programs for home modification: Adapt-A-Home, Add-A-Bar, and Nuts and Bolts. These programs are for people with physical disabilities who qualify as low-income by HUD guidelines, and who live in the Cities of Beaverton, Gresham, Portland, or unincorporated Multnomah County.

Home Access & Repair for the Disabled and Elderly (HARDE) – Washington County, Oregon

This program offers grants of up to $8,000 for urgent repairs and accessibility improvements for elderly or disabled Washington County residents.

Home Modification Specialists & Vendors

Certified aging in place (CAP) building contractors have received special training on home modifications. To find a CAPS certified builder, call the local Master Builders Association or search the directory on the National Association of Home Builders Website.

101 Mobility

This national outfitter provides a variety of mobility and accessibility solutions for your home, with offices throughout the United States.

  • Phone: 888-258-0652

Washington Home Modification Specialists

Able Environments LLC

Able Environments is a real estate agency in western Washington that specializes in accessible housing, listing of homes, and suggestions and referrals relating to home accessibility modifications.

  • Location: 19221 36th Avenue West, Suite 106
    Lynnwood, WA 98036
  • Contact Tom Minty:
  • Contact Barry Long:

Penates Design

Michelle Molloy, ASID, LEEDAP, CAPS, provides design solutions for low vision individuals to increase safety in the home. These modifications include, but are not limited to, using visual and tactile textures to distinguish surfaces, arranging furniture so light comes over the shoulder.

Ramp Arts

Ramp Arts provides design, sales, installation and rental of ramps in the greater Seattle/Puget Sound area.

Studio Pacifica

Studio Pacifica is an architectural firm with expertise in universal design and accessibility modifications for the home and commercial environments.

  • Location: 2144 Westlake Ave. North, Suite F
    Seattle, WA 98109
  • Phone: 206-292-9799
  • Email: [email protected]

Oregon Home Modification Specialists

Mobility Access Options NW

Mobility Access Options NW is a company focused on helping seniors & people with disabilities age in place. They offer residents in Western Oregon a wide range of accessibility products including stairlifts, vertical platform lifts, wheelchair ramps, mobility chairs and scooters, and more. MAO NW and their team of specialists have the tools and experience to help you find a safe living solution.

  • Location: 155 E Street – PO Box 128
    Independence, OR 97351
  • Phone: 971-304-7464
  • Email: [email protected]

Dale’s Remodeling

Dale’s Remodeling serves the Willamette Valley and specializes in universal design for individuals with disabilities.

Carey Custom Floors & Remodeling

Carey Custom Floors & Remodeling provides ADA remodels to allow individuals to age in place. They are certified as CAPS I and CAPS II contractors, with locations in Beaverton, Portland, Tigard, Hillsboro, Lake Oswego, Aloha, Sherwood, Newberg, Gresham, Clackamas, Camas, Oregon City, and Wilsonville.

  • Phone: 503-644-9663

C&K Custom Remodeling

C&K Custom Remodeling offers wheelchair accessible remodels throughout the greater Portland area.

Oregon Builders & Restoration

Oregon Builders & Restoration offers ADA remodeling in Portland, Oregon City, and Tualatin.

All Access Home Design

All Access Home Design is a joint venture by physical therapist Dave Blauwkamp and general contractor John Blauwkamp. They provide home modifications such as wheelchair ramps, stair safety modifications, safe and accessible backgrounds, and fall prevention modifications.

  • Phone: 541-799-0700

Fort Rock Construction Inc.

Fort Rock Construction Inc. provides ADA compliant construction, including home modifications such as kitchen and bathroom remodels.

  • Phone: 541-767-1611

Washington Home Modification Vendors

EZ Access

EZ Access provides home and vehicle modifications for wheel chair ramps.

  • Location: 700 Milwaukee Ave. N
    Algona, WA 98001-7408
  • Phone: 877-739-1626
  • Email: [email protected]

Mobility Concepts

Mobility Concepts offers home modifications and equipment including patient lift systems, residential elevators, vertical platform lifts, stair lifts and environmental control units.

Oregon Home Modification Vendors


Amramp provides accessibility solutions for homes and businesses including wheelchair ramps, stair lifts and vertical platform lifts.

  • Phone: 888-715-7598

All In One Mobility, Inc

12833 NE Airport Way
Portland, OR 97230
Phone: 503-255-5005