Home Modification Loans
- Loan interest rate is 5% APR
- Loans for up to $40,000 with up to a 10-year term for home modifications and modified vehicles
- Loans for other assistive technologies are also available for up to $25,000 with up to a 5-year term
Washington and Oregon residents of all ages with disabilities of all types, including seniors with age-related functional limitations, are eligible. Click here for a loan application checklist to find out if you are ready to apply.
For answers to some common questions regarding our home modification loans, please scroll down or click here.
What are home modifications?
Home modifications are environmental interventions aiming to support the activity performance of people with disabilities or seniors in the home. Home modifications can be a crucial element to the independence and safety of an individual, and/or the ability to age-in-place.
For a list of home modification resources in Washington and Oregon, including other funding sources and specialists, click here.
Examples of common home modifications
- Widening of doorways
- Installation of a push-button door opener
- Adjustment of thresholds
- Changes to sidewalks or driveways
- Addition of Handrails
- Installation of ramp
- Addition or adjustments to lighting
- Lowering peephole
- Installation of security systems
- Additions of gutter covers
- Installation of raised gardening beds
- Installation of stairlifts
- Widening of hallways or doorways
- Installation of lighting
- Changes to layout, including removing or adding walls
- Installation of grab bars and rails
- Changes to flooring
- Adjustment to electrical outlet locations
- Installation of smart home technology
- Voice controls to turn on lights, change tv channels, or turn on music
- Control home temperature and lights from an app on your phone
- Keypad locks to give access to home care aids and easily change code as needed
- Ability to set reminders for medications or cooking
- Adjustments to cabinet, sink or counter heights
- Installation of shelving
- Changes to flooring
- Changes to lighting
- Changes to outlet locations
- Installation of accessible kitchen appliances (ranges, ovens, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc.)
- Installation of front loading washer and dryer
- Widening of doorways
- Changes to location or layout
- Adjustments to cabinets, countertop, and sink height and under-sink clearance
- Installation of grab bars or rails
- Adjustments to toilet height
- Installation of non-stick flooring
- Changes or additions of light fixtures
- Roll-in shower
- Installation of adjustable or removable showerheads
Ready to Apply?
We offer multiple ways to apply for a home modification loan:
- Click here to apply online.
- Download the Microsoft Word Application or PDF Application
- Download the Microsoft Word Large Print Application or PDF Large Print Application
To have an application mailed to you, call our office at 206-328-5116 or toll free at 877-428-5116, send an email to [email protected], or mail a request to:
Northwest Access Fund
PO Box 55759
Shoreline, WA 98155
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I qualify for Northwest Access Fund’s services?
Washington and Oregon residents of all ages with disabilities of all types are eligible for our services. This includes seniors with age-related hearing, vision, mobility, and/or cognitive limitations. We take a broad view of disability and are happy to answer any particular questions you might have. We also consider applications from family members, employers, and other representatives – as long as the item is purchased for – and owned by – a person with a disability.
What can Northwest Access Fund’s assistive technology loans be used for?
Assistive Technology loans can be used to purchase any device that helps to improve the functioning of a person with a disability. Loans can also be used for assistive technology services such as evaluations, training, extended warranties, insurance, maintenance, and repair.
Examples of assistive technology include:
- Hearing Aids
- Lift chairs
- Electric beds
- Scooters, wheelchairs (including co-pays)
- Braille devices
- Closed Circuit TV Magnifiers
- Adaptive recreational equipment
- Smart home technology
What can Northwest Access Fund’s home modification loans be used for?
Home modification loans can be used to finance home accessibility modifications and services.
Examples of home accessibility modifications include:
- Shower modifications
- Stair Lifts
- Grab bars and railings
- Push-button door openers
- Widening of doors and hallways
- Counter height adjustments
- Light fixtures
What can Northwest Access Fund’s adaptive vehicle loans be used for?
Adaptive vehicle loans can be used to finance:
- Vehicles with existing accessibility adaptations
- Chasse of a vehicle that will be adapted
- Adaptations to be installed into an existing vehicle, like ramps, hand controls, and chair lifts
How much can I borrow and what are the terms?
All our loans have a 5% interest rate, with no fees. Term length varies depending on the type of loan, useful life of the technology/adaptation, and the income available to repay the loan.
- Assistive technology loans: Up to $25,000, with up to a 60-month term;
- Home modification and adapted vehicle loans: Up to $40,000, with up to a 120-month term.
Requests for higher amounts can be considered by the Board of Directors.
How do I apply?
To apply with our simple online application or to download the application, visit our AT Loan page.
What happens after I submit my application?
Your application will be reviewed by staff for completeness. We also will obtain a credit report and may call you for additional information. Once the application is complete, it will be submitted to our Loan Review Committee, which meets twice a month. If the Committee approves your application, we will send you a Promissory Note and other loan documents. Once these closing documents are signed and returned, we will pay the vendor directly. If your application is not approved, we will tell you why and try to help you identify other resources.
What criteria will be used to decide if I get a loan?
Both eligibility and ability to repay must be shown. Eligibility is established when you show that (a) you have a disability and (b) the item you want to buy qualifies as “assistive technology.” Ability to repay is evaluated on the basis of income, expenses, current debt levels, availability of other resources and your credit history. For business equipment, we also look at your employment or business plan and work history.
My credit is not great. Will that disqualify me?
Having poor credit or a history of bankruptcy will not necessarily disqualify you. Your circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Northwest Access Fund staff will help you identify steps you can take to improve your chances of qualifying (e.g., participating in financial coaching, or taking care of past due accounts or items in collections).
My income is very limited and I’ve never taken out a loan before. Can I still apply?
Absolutely. Northwest Access Fund looks at each application individually. In some cases, we may ask for a co-signer or collateral. In other cases, we may offer extended payments and/or a smaller loan.